The 5 Best HID Grow Lights Reviewed
Growing vegetables indoors requires sufficient levels of lighting that you can’t get from just anywhere. You need a visible light spectrum exposure for the vegetables to reach their maximum growth potential, which you can only get from high-intensity discharge lights or HID lights, which improve plant growth.
HID lights, which are the most cost-effective option compared to other lights, provide UV radiation when growing vegetables in a hydroponic setup. HID Lights are a good option for beginner growers who are just trying out a hydroponic setup and for small-scale indoor gardeners.
While HID lights are not exactly the same as sunlight, they do help your plants to grow, and you will see a noticeable difference in plant measurements after adding a lighting system. The light spectrum of HID grow lights is just right for encouraging flowering plants, in particular, to go through photosynthesis, which is one way a plant takes in nutrition. HID lighting is also well-known to penetrate into the lower leaves of plants, which is very beneficial.
HID lights are also easy to use as they are a set color spectrum, and they do an excellent job of providing broad-spectrum lighting that encourages plant growth without a lot of adjustments. They’re also straightforward to repair too. But which one is the best HID grow light to choose? Here is a round-up of some of the most popular HID grow lights.
Best HID Grow Lights
This is a great start-up kit and comes with everything you need for indoor growing. Not only that, but it is excellent value for money. The HPS MH Digital Dimmable Grow Light System covers a 4×4 canopy easily. With its 6-inch fan inline fan/filter, small clip fan, and a speed controller, you can regulate both the temperature and humidity in your tent pretty accurately. The hood is a little bulky, but it’s very solid and sturdy with quality materials.and covers a 4×4 well.
This light system is also very easy to set up, and the quality of the lights is outstanding. It is air-cooled, which is a massive plus for indoor growing. The 600-watt ballast has an adjustable setting to dim down to 50% or 75% when needed. This system also comes with strong ratchet hangers for that secure feeling while the light is hanging and has a well built and easy to use 24hr timer that plugs in very easily. This is an excellent combo and comes highly recommended from beginners to seasoned growers.
Changing the bulbs is easy; you just unscrew two wing nuts and remove the bracket, then slide-out the glass roughly eight inches, which gives you plenty of space to work while the glass is still secure in the hood; it couldn’t be easier. Alternatively, you could remove the ducting from one end and reach the end. This system features an excellent design that doesn’t get hot, has several mounting holes on both ends. It also includes a long cord making it easy to mount or position. One thing to note is that this system doesn’t have an on/off switch. However, this isn’t really a big deal; you just need to make sure you turn your surge protector on and off and unplug the cord. The bulbs are nice and bright and packaged well, and overall, this system is excellent in quality and offers outstanding performance.
- 1000W Digital Dimmable Electronic Ballast: Support 120V/240V Input; Dimmable Options: 50%, 75%, 100%; 8 Feet heavy-duty power cord included; Stable power output ensure flicker free light
- 1 x 1000W Super HPS Bulb 2100K; 1 x 1000W MH Bulb 6000K; Optimized spectrum and high PAR (Photosynthetic Active Radiation) to promote healthy plant growth and soonest flourish
- 1 x Pair of 8-ft adjustable Ratchet Clip Hanger Rope: hold up to 150 lbs; 24-hour Plug-in Mechanical Timer: 15 minutes increments
- 6-inch Air Cooled Hood Reflector: up to 4' x 4' light coverage; Built-in 15 feet heavy duty lamp cord with E39 Ceramic Mogul Socket and standard Hydroponic S-Plug; highly 95% reflective textured German aluminum maximizes the light reflected to the plants
- CAUTION: This system will generate too much heat to be used in an enclosed area without ventilation. Adequate ventilation is required for all iPower grow light systems. We recommend the use of an iPower inline fan
The VIVOSUN Hydroponic has a very nice setup and includes two ballast, three hoods, bubble bags, trimmers, bulbs, a 5×5 tent, grow bags, everything you would expect. The only issue with this one is that the electronic ballasts may cause interference with internet and cable distortion in your neighborhood. Other feedback has mentioned that the ballast could do with improvements, but apart from that, the hood and lights are good.
The one constant outstanding report when it comes to feedback on this product is that VIVOSUN stands behind their product all the way and offers excellent customer service. Many people have reviewed this product and said that VIVOSUN has reached out to them upon reading their review and gone above and beyond to correct or replace whatever it is they aren’t completely satisfied with.
- Wing Reflector: Over 90% high reflectivity aluminum（no hot-spot） ensures soonest flourish of your plants
- UL Listed 600W Dimmable Ballst: Runs on 120~240V power supply, comes with 8ft 120V power cord, 250w/400w/600w/super lumens opotional
- HPS & MH Grow Light Bulbs: High PAR value (Photosynthetically Active Radiation), Superior quality & optimized spectrum to promote growth
- 24-Hour Mechanical Timer: 15-minute On/Off, 24 hours settings; 125V, 15A, 60Hz, 1/2HP, 1875W Heavy duty construction; Timer mode can be turned off
- 1/8" Rope Hanger (1 Pair): 8-ft long & 150lbs/pair weight capacity, solid braided polypropylene rope & reinforced metal internal gears to ensure top-safety
For the money, this has the highest PPFD /watt compared to other similar products and the only lights more PAR efficient per watt are the highly expensive LED lights. This makes the iPower 400 Watt HPS MH Digital Dimmable Grow Light System an absolute top choice for yield and quality.
The quality of the ballast is very high, and it’s not only sleek, but it runs quietly too. The reflector is very thin and easy to bend and while it has excellent functionality, you can feel how thin delicate it is. The fixture hangs from very secure hooks on a frame attached to the mogul socket, so as long as you’re careful when setting it up, the reflector will be fine.
Basically, everything you need is in one package, and the dimmer part is excellent; and while it doesn’t turn up and down like a regular light, it takes a few minutes for the change, once it’s at the position you want it to be in, it’s fantastic. The rope pulleys are a great addition and the horizontal light fixture also gives some extra room from the old parabolic vertical mount style fixtures. One thing, though, is that as the light does produce a lot of heat so it might be an idea to get the cool tube package. If you are looking for an affordable, high-quality system, you can’t go wrong with this buy.
- 400W Digital Dimmable Electronic Ballast: Support 120V/240V Input; Dimmable Options: 50%, 75%, 100%; 8 Feet heavy-duty power cord included; Stable power output ensure flicker free light
- 1 x 400W super HPS bulb 2100K; 1 x 400W MH bulb 6000K; optimized Spectrum and high PAR (photosynthetic active radiation) to promote healthy plant growth and soonest flourish
- 1 x pair of 8-ft adjustable ratchet clip hanger rope: hold up to 150 lbs.
- 19-inch Wing Reflector: up to 4' x 4' light coverage; Built-in 15 feet heavy duty lamp cord with E39 Ceramic Mogul Socket and standard Hydroponic S-Plug; highly 95% reflective textured German aluminum maximizes the light reflected to the plants
- This system will generate too much heat to be used in an enclosed area without ventilation. Adequate ventilation is required for all iPower grow light systems. We recommend the use of an iPower inline fan
Another good light system here however, the bright yellow cast the bulb makes will turn your room yellow which is not advisable if you are wanting to be discreet and have windows – even with blinds. Aside from that though, the Sun System Grow Light runs cool and bright, and if its placed in a small grow tent, you may need just an exhaust fan and modest air intake of some kind for quiet stealthy growth. It is excellent value for money as it’s very bright and of good quality. This light gets pretty hot and its important to remember that lumens increase drastically as they get closer to the plant. So, the closer to the plant, the hotter this light will make it. Even though these are only 150 watts, they will get very hot. However, they are good value for money, and they work, and that is all that matters.
Another thing great about this system is that it is mid-spectrum, meaning that don’t need to change the bulb for a vegetable or flower change. While it will get a little hot, all HID lights do. You won’t get the same results as a split spectrum bulb system, but this will get great results no matter what you grow. This system will feed a 3×3 tent system perfectly or even larger depending on how light hungry your plants are. There’s also no need to have an expensive ballast drive 400+ lighting system for standard plants. You can’t go wrong for the price.
- Lightweight, complete grow fixture, easy to set-up and use
- Grow your own vegetable, herbs and flowers indoors
- Simulates natural sunlight for maximum plant growth with 16,000 lumens
- Two year manufacturer's warranty on fixture, one year warranty on the lamp and ETL listed
- Includes 2 hanging hooks and 150 watt HPS lamp
The Hydroplanet Grow Light Fixture is not only bright but its lightweight too and easy on the electricity bill. This system puts out enough light, and with three in a 4x4x7 tent, you can keep it at about 75°f and they’re cool to the touch with clip fans on them. With this, you’ll find you have the same, if not better yields than when compared with a 600w in the same size tent.You can have it less than 12 inches above your plants with absolutely no heat stress. Overall the stand out and most common review on this fissure is that it emits extremely bright light but very little heat so all the plants love it. The straps are also very sturdy and clamped down well. Another feature is that it is easy to use, you can simply plug in and play and it is ready straight out the box.
- 1 x 150W HPS Bulb
- 1 x 150 watt Grow Light Fixture
- Complete set, easy to set-up and use
- Highly reflective 98% German aluminum insert for better uniformity, output and diffusion.
- 2 years warranty any issue contact customer service with order ID.
LED vs. HID Lights
Curious how these two types of grow lights stack up against eachother? Watch this video to see the differences between the two: