The 5 Best HPS Grow Lights Reviewed
If you are growing your own plants, high-pressure sodium (HPS) lights can offer you benefits that metal halides would not be able to. They are higher efficient bulbs and systems and emit light in the yellow/red visible light range.
Because these lights emit more energy in the light spectrum, red light, they can help you speed up the process of growing your plants. Picking the right light for your growing system can be challenging if you don’t have much experience in the field. Here are some of the best HPS grow lights on the market for all needs.
Best HPS Grow Lights
This light kit is designed by iPower, one of the leading manufacturers in the field. The company supplies lighting systems internationally to expert cultivators and first-time gardeners alike. This kit is suitable if you wish to enhance your grow box’s potential without having to invest in a new model.
iPower 600 Watt HPS Grow Light Kit: Features and Benefits
- Powerful Design – this system includes a 600w ballast, which is dimmable and supports a 120-240V input. You will be able to pick among three different settings (50%, 75%, 100%).
- Compact Design – this iPower grow light kit is perfect for fitting in small grow boxes and reduced spaces.
Reduced Light Refraction – there is no refraction of the light on the glass. This prevents a standard percentage of 6% to 9% of the light from getting lost.
Who is iPower 600 Watt HPS Grow Light Kit for?
Whether you are a beginner just getting started with your plant growing project or an expert grower looking at enhancing your grow box’s efficiency, this iPower kit will be the perfect addition. While extremely affordable, this light system can help you improve the yield you see from your crop.
- It includes one of the most effective types of reflectors.
It can be extremely suitable if you need to fit it in a small space.
The iPower includes all you need to get started.
It is extremely energy efficient.
It prevents light dissipation and enhances reflection.
It can generate too much heat if deployed in a system that does not benefit from a steady ventilation system.
- 600W Digital Dimmable Electronic Ballast: Support 120V/240V Input; Dimmable Options: 50%, 75%, 100%; 8 Feet heavy-duty power cord included; Stable power output ensure flicker free light
- 1 x 600W Super HPS Bulb 2100K; 1 x 600W MH Bulb 6000K; Optimized spectrum and high PAR (Photosynthetic Active Radiation) to promote healthy plant growth and soonest flourish
- 1 x Pair of 8-ft adjustable Ratchet Clip Hanger Rope: hold up to 150 lbs; 24-hour Plug-in Mechanical Timer: 15 minutes increments
- 6-inch Air Cooled Hood Reflector: up to 4' x 4' light coverage; Built-in 15 feet heavy duty lamp cord with E39 Ceramic Mogul Socket and standard Hydroponic S-Plug; highly 95% reflective textured German aluminum maximizes the light reflected to the plants
- CAUTION: This system will generate too much heat to be used in an enclosed area without ventilation. Adequate ventilation is required for all iPower grow light systems. We recommend the use of an iPower inline fan
This affordable kit is suitable for most growers and fits most grow box requirements. The aluminum interiors offer a 90% high reflectivity for the light produced by these HPS lights. Thanks to the 120~240V power supply and high reflectivity levels it offers, this grow light reflector kit can help you speed up the growing process of your plants, enhancing yield productivity and plants’ health.
VIVOSUN Hydroponic 600 Watt HPS MH Grow Light Wing Reflector Kit: Features and Benefits
- Easy To Set Up – this wing reflector kit is extremely easy to set up, regardless of the size of your grow box.
Dimmable – thanks to the HPS and the MH lights, your plants can benefit from the right light for their life stage. These lights are also dimmable and provide an internal fan-cooled operational system. In turn, this can increase the kit’s lifespan and efficiency.
Programmable – a unique feature of this kit is that you can program it from the comfort of your sofa.
The VIVOSUN kit is environmentally friendly, easy to use, and simple to set up. When purchasing this product, you can be sure to have all the tools and materials needed to get started immediately. Additionally, you can get unique accessories such as:
- HPS & MH Bulbs
Dimmable Digital Ballast
24 Hour Plug-in Mechanical Timer Switch
1 Pair 1/8 inch Adjustable Heavy Duty Rope Hanger
Who is VIVOSUN Hydroponic 600 Watt HPS MH Grow Light Wing Reflector Kit for?
While this kit is easy to set up, it is specially designed for expert cultivators who are looking at improving the yield offered by their current grow box.
- More affordable than similar product in the range
Available in three different wattages
Easy to set up and installable on most grow boxes or small spaces.
Increases the efficiency of your lighting system
Provides the whole light spectrum needed throughout each stage of the plants’ life
- More suitable for experienced cultivators
- Wing Reflector: Over 90% high reflectivity aluminum（no hot-spot） ensures soonest flourish of your plants
- UL Listed 600W Dimmable Ballst: Runs on 120~240V power supply, comes with 8ft 120V power cord, 250w/400w/600w/super lumens opotional
- HPS & MH Grow Light Bulbs: High PAR value (Photosynthetically Active Radiation), Superior quality & optimized spectrum to promote growth
- 24-Hour Mechanical Timer: 15-minute On/Off, 24 hours settings; 125V, 15A, 60Hz, 1/2HP, 1875W Heavy duty construction; Timer mode can be turned off
- 1/8" Rope Hanger (1 Pair): 8-ft long & 150lbs/pair weight capacity, solid braided polypropylene rope & reinforced metal internal gears to ensure top-safety
This lightweight system needs minimal setup and installation time and allows you to grow your own vegetables, flowers, and plants without additional help. One of the unique characteristics of this light is that it simulates natural sunlight but at 16,000 lumens – which can maximize plant growth.
Sun System 150W HPS Grow Light: Features and Benefits
- Natural Light – the compact design and simulation of the natural light allows you to provide your plants with natural light. This allows you to grow your plants and flowers all year round without additional support.
Quick and Easy Setup – the easy set-up of this HPS grow light is perfect for beginners and experts alike, providing you with a lightweight solution that fits most grow boxes.
Maximize Grow Power – delivering over 16,000 lumens; this HPS light provides the light spectrum necessary for uninterrupted, enhanced growth of your plants.
Who is Sun System 150W HPS Grow Light for?
Including all you need to deploy the HPS light in your grow box in minutes, this light kit is ideal if you wish to include a natural illumination system in your cultivation system. If you are a beginner cultivator, this system allows you to get started right away. However, experienced cultivators can benefit from the powerful 16,000 lumens emitted to enhance their crop’s productivity.
- It does not require time or tools to set up.
It provides 16,000 lumens
It offers a natural light solution perfect for a natural solution for your crop.
It is affordable for most cultivators.
It provides five times more energy than incandescent bulbs.
It can be set up anywhere.
It can be less durable than other products on this list if not properly maintained.
- Lightweight, complete grow fixture, easy to set-up and use
- Grow your own vegetable, herbs and flowers indoors
- Simulates natural sunlight for maximum plant growth with 16,000 lumens
- Two year manufacturer's warranty on fixture, one year warranty on the lamp and ETL listed
- Includes 2 hanging hooks and 150 watt HPS lamp
The Hydroplanet grow light fixture is a complete set that allows for easy setup and use. Thanks to the German aluminum that covers the interiors, you can count on 98% light reflectivity – something that can truly enhance the efficiency, diffusion, and output of the energy used.
Hydroplanet Grow Light Fixture: Features and Benefits
- Complete Set – this is one of the easiest setups you could invest in for your grow box. It comes in a one-piece package that allows you to get started in minutes.
It Provides High Light Reflectivity Levels – thanks to the high-tech material that wraps the interiors of this box, you can count on almost 100% light reflectivity.
Compact Design – each grow box is a little different, which makes it essential to find the right HPS light for it. This light kit designed compactly and to fit most grow boxes is a sure investment to enhance your hobby’s yield.
Who is Hydroplanet Grow Light Fixture for?
The Hydroplanet light fixture is affordable and suitable for most grow boxes. Beginner cultivators who don’t want to compromise on quality but wish to get a high-quality product might benefit from the reduced price and simple setup.
- Affordable product
Enhances light reflectivity through German aluminum interiors
It comes with two years warranty
The high-quality magnetic ballast provides years of use and enhanced durability.
- This model’s design is not one of the most aesthetically pleasing.
- 1 x 150W HPS Bulb
- 1 x 150 watt Grow Light Fixture
- Complete set, easy to set-up and use
- Highly reflective 98% German aluminum insert for better uniformity, output and diffusion.
- 2 years warranty any issue contact customer service with order ID.
The FloraLux 150w HPS Grow Light is a high-yield solution that will fit most grow boxes or tents. It provides a natural colored light that mimics the warmth of natural light. This, as well as the compact structure, allows you to improve the health, blooming, and flowering of your plants.
FloraLux 150-Watt HPS Grow Light: Features and Benefits
- Low Wattage, High Output – this is a high-efficiency setup that allows you to make the most out of the power you use to power it. Thanks to the high reflectivity and compact design, it will only require a low wattage to be operated but will yield a high output.
Easy To Set-Up – this one-piece HPS light kit is easy to fit in most grow boxes, and you won’t need particular tools to complete the setup.
Can Be Used Throughout Each Growth Phase of the Plant – due to the light spectrum emitted, you can use this light to encourage the plant’s growth throughout each phase of its growth cycle.
Who is FloraLux 150-Watt HPS Grow Light for?
If you need an HPS light that is reliable, suitable for most grow boxes, efficient, and, more importantly, affordable, the FloraLux allows you to improve the yield you can see from your plants while having to use the least power possible. This HPS light is ideal for beginners who are operating their grow tents within limited budgets but want the best for their plants.
- It is an affordable product.
It comes in a one-piece set up, suitable for most cultivators.
It can be fitted in a box within short timeframes.
It does not require any external ballasts.
It does not cause any hardware to be hanging after set up.
- This product’s classic design might not match your grow box’s style.
It can be too small for larger grow boxes or tents.
You will need a 4″ flange to set up this light, which is sold separately.
- Electrical: 150 watts, approx. 1.25 amps @ 120v ; UL listed
- built-in 10' power cord plugs into standard-household grounded outlet (NEMA 5-15, 3-prong plug)
- Streamlined all-in-one ballast and reflector/hood design features tempered-glass lens and louvered vent ; 4" flanges sold separately for forced air cooling
- Includes high-output 150-watt high pressure sodium (HPS) bulb with enhanced horticultural spectrum ; 16,000 lumen output
- Hanger attachment hardware included ; Fixture measures: 14" long x 10" wide x 5" high ; Weighs approx. 12 pounds
How HPS Grow Lights Work
This is an excellent video that explains how HPS lights work, and why you should have one for growing indoors: