The 5 Best Lightweight Weed Eaters Reviewed
If you have a fast-growing garden lawn that gets out of hand very quickly, you’ll need a weed eater to keep it under control. But getting the right tool for the job is important, particularly if you have a lot of grass and weeds that need clearing regularly. You’ll want a string trimmer that is not only up to the job at hand, but one that is also comfortable and easy to use.
There are, of course, plenty of cheap string trimmers on the market. It is always important to read reviews of these and to be wary of them being a false economy though as they will very often break after barely any uses. A good quality weed eater will last you for many years.
When it comes to choosing the right string trimmer, look for a battery-powered or corded model. Electric string trimmers are lighter weight than their gas counterparts and often provide as much power as you need to get the job done.
Here’s our guide to five of the best lightweight weed eaters out there.
Best Lightweight Weed Eaters
The Craftsman V20 is battery powered string trimmer with the highest efficiency and great ease of use. Equipped with a 4.0 Ah battery, you’ll be able to trim any piece of grass or edge regardless of how far you are away from the power supply. You are free to trim where you like.
Weighing in at just 6.3 lbs, this lightweight string trimmer is ergonomic and comfortable to use. Not only that, but everything on the Craftsman V20 is straightforward to use. There is a line feed button that saves you from having to bump the weed eater against the ground. Each button press will give you an extra bit of the 0.08-inch cord giving you total control over the job at hand.
Whether you are clearing a dense growth of grass, or you’re tidying up the edges of your flower beds, the Craftsman V20 makes the job effortless. With two speed options to choose from, you can either choose to conserve battery or use the higher power setting for clearing through the more intense overgrowth.
This battery-powered powerhouse of a string trimmer is the ideal choice for anyone who is looking to free themselves of the confines of the corded weed eater or is looking to avoid using gas because of the weight, smell, and hassle associated with using a gas string trimmer.
- EXTENDED RUN TIME: 2 Speed Settings lets you choose more power or more runtime
- TURN TO EDGE: For both edging and trimming
- ADJUSTABLE: Ergonomic adjustable length pole to fit your height
- PUSH BUTTON FEED: Allows you to control the 0.080 inch twisted line feed with the push of a button
- EFFICIENCY: 13 inch cutting swath allows for added efficiency
2. Worx WG163
The Worx WG163 is both a trimmer and edger all in one. You can easily flip between trimming grass and weeds to a wheeled edger in a matter of a couple of brief seconds. The string trimmer has rubberized wheels giving you the support that you need to guide the edger meaning that you will always get straighter, neater looking lines. You can even tilt the head by 90 degrees too which will allow you to trim the edges on sloped terrain or allow you to get to some hard-to-reach places. The spacer guard that comes included with the Worx WG163 stops any damage to plants, landscapes, and other features.
The Worx WG163 comes with two lightweight and powerful 20 Volt batteries. The batteries can also be used on any of the WORX Power Share products
At just 5.3 lbs, this lightweight string trimmer is both comfortable to handle and easy to use. One of the lightest weed eaters featured, there is no loss of power when you compare it to the weight of the string trimmer.
Although it may not be as powerful as a gas trimmer may be, it is plenty powerful enough and you won’t have to worry about all of the vibrations that you would have to contend with when you have a gas trimmer. And, with batteries, you are not tied to your extension cord as you would be with a corded weed eater.
- [TRIER & EDGER 2-in-1] Easily converts from a string trimmer to a wheel edger in just seconds
- [INSTANT LINE FEED] Innovative push button Command Feed spool system for instant line feeding. Plus, Free Spools for Life!
- [2 BATTERIES ARE INCLUDED] 2 powerful and lightweight 20V Power Share MaxLithium batteries come with this tool, and can be used on any other tool in the WORX Power Share family
- [RUBBERIZED WHEELS] Support and guide the edger, giving you straighter lines and cleaner cuts
- [HEAD TILTS 90°] So you can trim and edge on sloped terrain, and get to tough-to-reach places
The Black and Decker LSTE525 is ideal for cutting areas of undergrowth after mowing, as well as edging along borders, sidewalks, and flower beds. This battery-operated string trimmer comes with two 20 volt Lithium-Ion batteries. Being battery operated means that you can take your string trimmer wherever you need it and you’re tied to the same restraints as you are with a corded weed eater.
This weed eater also doubles as a wheeled edger. When not in use, the wheel is located on the top which helps keep it out of the way. The wheeled edger allows you to easily tidy up all of those edges, and it takes seconds to switch between trimmer and edger modes. The two-speed control allows for greater power and a longer runtime.
With a comfortable rubberized grip, and weighing in at just 6.3 lbs, this is easy to use. There is a button that allows you to advance your line, so there is no need to bump the base of the string trimmer against the ground as you may need to with other models.
The Black and Decker LSTE525 is a great string trimmer because it’s easy to keep a good grip of. The edging wheel is kept out of the way when it’s not in use, and the two different power settings allow you to choose between extended battery life for the big jobs, or more power to get the job done quicker.
The LSTE525 comes with two batteries, a charger, a guard, and an AFS spool. Everything that you need to use your string trimmer straight out of the box.
All-in-all the Black and Decker LSTE525 gives you the torque to get the job done. With line feed buttons and an easy switch into edge trimming mode, there is no question that this is an easy to use and powerful weed eater.
- Converts from trimmer to wheeled edger; Amp hour: (2) 1.5 ampere hour
- Power drive transmission for increased torque
- 2 speed control for more power or extended runtime. Line diameter: 0.065 inches; Cutting swath 12 inches
- Easyfeed allows you to advance your line with the push of a button with no bumping required
- Part of the 20V MAX system; 1 system endless tasks. Power for your style
The Earthwise LST02010 cordless string trimmer comes with a 20 Volt 2.0Ah battery along with a fast charger. With a great run time, this super-lightweight weed eater is suitable for all of your gardening needs.
With three adjustable cut head positions, you can use your trimmer as your gardening tasks require you to. You can select the head position that best suits your needs; whether you are cutting edges or trimming back weeds.
Weighing just four pounds, the Earthwise LST02010 is quite likely to be up there as one of the lightest string trimmers of this power that you’re going to find on the market- it is certainly the lightest that we’ve reviewed today.
The trimmer edge has a ten-inch cutting width with auto-feed. It comes with its own spool along with 0.065-inch nylon line.
This eco trimmer is comfortable for all to use. Simply adjust the height of the pole or adjust the handle and make the string trimmer as comfortable as you can to suit your needs.
The 20 volt Earthwise LST02010 battery is also compatible with a range of other Earthwise products.
If you are after a fully adjustable weed eater, this is one of the best that you are likely to find. Not only is it very lightweight, but you can adjust the weed eater to the hight that you need which adjusting the cutting head position. All of this comes with the ability to go anywhere you like without having to worry about having a cord stopping you. Although it is lightweight, the Earthwise LST02010 has enough power to cut through even the tallest of grasses and weeds, with power that is comparable to that of a gas-powered weed eater.
- Powerful 20-volt trimmer with 2.0Ah lithium-ion battery and fast charger included in the package; Durable and reliable motor with a superior run-time
- Trimmer edger with 10" cutting width with auto-feed; Spool and 0.065" nylon line included; Flip-down edge guard for a more convenient edging experience
- Eco trimmer with an adjustable handle and telescopic pole so you can adjust the shaft based on your preference and comfort
- Cordless, lightweight and easy to use; Battery-powered, low-maintenance and does not require gas or oil
- Earthwise 20-volt battery that is compatible with all second series 20-volt lithium-ion Earthwise product; 2-year warranty on the tool and 1-year warranty on the battery
One of the most notable things about the Greenworks 21212 is that, just like with all other Greenworks products, there is zero carbon footprint associated with this product. This means that if you are looking for an environmentally friendly and sustainable product; then you should go with a Greenworks weed eater.
The Greenworks 21212 is designed to allow you to keep your lawn well-manicured without spending a lot of time or money on doing so.
With a telescopic handle and a twist out edger, you will find the Greenworks 21212 easy to use. It is a great tool for a range of different landscaping applications.
Weighing just seven pounds, this is a lightweight string trimmer this powerful enough for most of your gardening needs. If you have a small to medium-sized garden, then this is perfect for trimming and edging your lawns.
With an automatic feeding spool for convenience, you won’t need to worry about running out of line mid way through carving your way through your garden.
Assembly is nice and easy- all you’ll need is a screwdriver and a few minutes of your time. All parts include a generous three-year warranty.
Although this may be a low price corded model, it is powerful and easy to use. More importantly to some, may be the green credentials of the manufacturer; Greenworks.
- Adjustable telescoping shaft to fit the users height. Convenient cord lock to prevent accidental unplugging
- Lightweight construction
- Includes a 3 year warranty
How To Use A Weed Eater
Using a weed eater improperly can make more work and ultimately make it feel heavier. Make your job easier by following these tips for using a weed trimmer: