The Top 5 Weed Killers for Bermuda Grass Reviewed
There’s much to love about bermuda grass, but it’s true that it isn’t always the easiest of grasses to manage. It can look fantastic — that’s why you’ll see it’s the preferred grass of choice for many golf courses — but it does attract weeds more than other grass types. For this reason, if you have grass at your residential or commercial property, then it’s important that you’re taking a proactive stance when it comes to weed maintenance. They won’t go away on their own! However, while many people actively choose to grow bermuda grass, there’s another problem that affects people: sometimes, this type of grass can invade other types, too. So if you detect the presence of bermuda grass, then you’ll want to actively work on getting rid of it before it becomes too prevalent. The earlier the treatment is applied, the easier it’ll be to keep things under control.
Fortunately, there are plenty of excellent treatment options available to purchase. These will help to remove weeds without damaging the grass. Unlike other weeds, bermuda grass can be difficult to get a hold of, and that’s why it’s important to invest in a high-quality product. General weed care products won’t work as effectively. On this page, we’re going to take a look at some of the best weed killer for bermuda grass. Take a read, make your selection, and it won’t be long before you’ve gotten rid of your problem weed.
Best Weed Killers for Bermuda Grass
If you’re looking for a top-quality weed killer to take care of your bermuda grass problem, then take a look at the BioAdvanced 704100B Bermudagrass Control for Lawns Weed Killer. BioAdvanced is one of the leading companies when it comes to weed control, and have won big praise from consumers and lawn experts for the quality of their products. This item is specifically designed to deal with bermuda grass control. If you have a bermuda grass lawn by choice, then this item isn’t for you, since it’ll destroy your lawn. However, if you notice that that type of grass is beginning to infect a lawn of a different variety, then it’ll be a good choice.
One of the key features of this product is it specifically targets bermuda grass, without harming other vegetation. It works especially well on cool climate grasses, such as kentucky bluegrass and fescue. Considered to be a cost-effective treatment solution, one bottle is capable of covering an area of some 5000 square feet. While it’s generally good practice to avoid spraying plants and other ornamentals with products that aren’t designed for them, this bermuda grass control product won’t cause damage, so you can spray in the area around trees and plants.
It’s extremely straightforward to use, which gives it another ‘tick’ in the eyes of consumers. There’s no mixing required. You just have to attach it to your water hose, turn on the water, and activate the sprayer using your thumb. From there you’ll be able to cover the area that you want to protect. As well as bermuda grass, it’ll help to kill other weeds too, such as crabgrass and foxtail. For the best results, it’s recommended to use the product once a month, though you can wait for longer between uses if you only have a mild problem.
- BERMUDAGRASS CONTROL: Selectively remove undesirable Bermudagrass weeds, without damaging your lawn
- FAST TREATMENT: Reduces the need for costly, time-intensive treatments. The BioAdvanced 32-Ounce Ready-to-Spray bottle treats 5,000 sq. ft.
- USE ON: Cool-season grasses such as Fescue, Kentucky Bluegrass and Perennial Ryegrass
- RAINPROOF PROTECTION: Rainproof in 1 hour
- RESTRICTIONS: Not for sale in HI, MA,PR,SD, AK, FL, ME, MD, MN, NH, NE, NJ, NY, ND, SC, WI
Monterey is another top of the line brand that always makes high-quality products. Their offering to handle bermuda grass is no different. Though their Monterey Turflon Ester product isn’t specifically designed to handle bermuda grass, it does an excellent job of doing so. It’ll also help to get rid of any problems with kikuyu grass and other broadleaf weeds too. The difference with this product is that it’s to be used when there’s a weed actively growing, rather than as a preventative measure. It’s particularly recommended for people with cool season grass in their yard since it was specifically designed to be used with those types of grass.
Easy to use, you’ll find that one bottle lasts for a long time, since it has a coverage area of some 20,000 square feet. To use, it’s just a matter of diluting the product with water and then pouring the mixture into a spray tank. From there, you’ll be able to spray the product onto the areas that you want to be covered. Monterey says that they want homeowners to have access to the same level of technology that professionals have, so while this item may be targeted at homeowners, it’s of a professional standard. The reviews for this product are extremely positive, though it’s important to remember that if you’re going to get the best results, then you’ll need to follow the instructions exactly as instructed. The people who had less success with this item (and other weed killers) likely failed to follow the instructions properly.
- Weed & grass Killer - turflon ester controls bermudagrass, kikuyugrass and certain broadleaf weeds such as Oxalis, ground ivy, wild Violet, Clover and ragweed. Consider these nuisances as good as gone.
- Post-emergent herbicide - our spray is used for the control of actively growing plants. Only emerged weeds present at the time of application will be controlled.
- Cool season turf - this product is designed for use on cool season grass only. It controls broadleaf weeds in perennial Bluegrass, Perennial Ryegrass or tall Fescue Ornamental turf grass.
- Easy to use - simply dilute turflon ester with water and apply using a spray tank. Carefully read label directions before use.
- Vast coverage - one pint of turflon ester covers up to 20, 000 Square feet of lawn.
Bonafide Grass Beater does exactly what the name suggests: it tackles the undesirable weeds that have taken over – or which are trying to take over – your lawn, including bermuda grass. The front of the bottle describes it as an ‘over the top grass killer.’ That is to say, if there’s grass that’s trying to get a foothold in your yard, then this product is going to get rid of it. The important thing is to be patient. Bermuda grass is a famously stubborn type of grass that can be difficult to get rid of. It doesn’t always happen overnight. But the Bonide Grass Beater will do the job if it’s given the time to do so. You’ll probably begin noticing improvements within a week or two.
Though you can use it on certain types of grass (be sure to check that yours is listed beforehand), it also works extremely well on flower beds and perennial beds. These can be popular spots for grass to pop up since the land is so fertile. This product will take care of the invading grass without harming the other vegetation in the area. Another plus point for Bonide Grass Beater is that it’s easy to use. All you’ve got to do is add the product to water, follow the instructions, and you’ll find that you get great results.
- SELECTIVE SYSTEMIC KILLER - Without harming desirable plants, Grass Beater takes out grassy weeds that have overtaken your lawn or garden.
- JUST ADD TO WATER - This concentrate is easy to use. All you need to do is add it to water and apply the product as described on the label.
- VEGETABLE GARDENS AND FLOWER BEDS - This selective weed eliminator is great for use on vegetable gardens, ground covers, flower beds, shrubs, and trees. Be sure to use this product at least 30 days from harvest and follow the directions on the label.
- EFFECTIVE RESULTS - Once it has been properly applied, Bonide Grass Beater will control unwanted grass weeds throughout your garden. This is a great product that will provide effective and lasting results.
- POST-EMERGENCE HERBICIDE - This is a selective, broad-spectrum product for control of annual and perennial grass weeds in turf, ornamentals, lawns, and non-crop sites listed in the label.
Another extremely popular product is Compare-N-Save Concentrate Grass and Weed Killer. Compare-N-Save is a popular brand when it comes to getting rid of grass and weeds, because their products always seem to work. This product does everything that a consumer would want it to and more. It’s designed for use on driveways and walkways, along fences, and about vegetable gardens and flower beds. If you spot some grass or weeds in those areas, then be sure to get out this product, follow the instructions, and get to work. As with other products listed on this page, this one is easy to use. All you need to do is add water.
Once you’ve sprayed the product on the area you want to treat, you’ll begin to notice improvements within a few days. There are things you can do to improve your chances of successful treatment, such as applying the product on warm days (above 60 degrees is ideal) and when there’s no rain forecast for a couple of days. However, it will be protected against light rain within a couple of hours of application. Once applied, it’ll kill to the root, so you won’t have to worry about the weed coming back anytime soon. Alongside the other benefits of this item, it’s also affordable — indeed, with just one bottle, you can make up to ten gallons of spray solutions.
- Rainproof in 2 hours
- Visible results in as little as 2 to 4 days
- Contains 41-percent glyphosate
- Covers over 25,000 square feet
- Makes up to 85 gal. of ready-to-use spray. Note: Packaging may vary
Roundup is one of the leading manufacturers of weed killers, and they’re popular for one very good reason: their products work. Roundup Extended Control is ideal for use on a whole variety of outdoor areas, including driveways, sidewalks, the edge of your lawn, patios, and more. If you’ve got a weed issue in any of these areas, then you’ll find that you can get good results with this product. Not only will it kill the existing weed, but it can also prevent new ones from growing for up to four months — it doesn’t just make the leaves wilt; it actively kills all the way down to the root. It’ll be rainproof within ten minutes, and you could even begin to see results within ten minutes of application.
- Dual-action formula kills existing weeds and prevents new ones from growing for up to 4 months
- Kills weeds to the root. Guaranteed! (Consumer Guarantee: If for any reason you are not satisfied after using this product, simply send us original proof of purchase and we will refund the purchase price.)
- Use on driveways, sidewalks, and patios; along fences, foundations, curbs, retaining walls and edge of lawns, as well as on decorative rock or gravel areas
- Rainproof in 10 minutes
- Visible results in 3 hours
Other Ways to Get Rid of Bermuda Grass
Spraying Bermuda grass with weed killer is not the only way to rid your property of this weed. Watch this video to find other ways to control bermuda grass:
It can be a little disconcerting to notice the presence of bermuda grass on your lawn. But as we’ve seen above, it’s not a problem that you have to live with forever. There are ways to treat this grass without damaging your lawn, or without all that much effort. Before you buy a product, make sure you’re reading exactly what it is used for — and what it can and cannot do. If you take this approach, then you’ll end up with a product that is perfect for your lawn, and bermuda grass will soon become a problem of the past.